Search This Blog

Sunday 10 May 2020

The Beautiful Essence Of Lock Down

my sister called me,
brother,
it's over thirty thousand 
are you not afraid 
to live there 
mother just spoke to me 
we are all afraid 
for you 

my dear sister,
it's over thirty thousand 
we have a problem 
or maybe not 

johnson is a bit late,
he was hurrying 
at lightening speed 
to get us out of
big bad europe 

but the response to covid
is going at slower pace
can't you see the 
cheeky turtle
who defeated that 
lazy running hare  

i will speak to mum 
she is afraid too, 
my dearest son,
our dear president
accepts all, who are arriving
from far abroad

are you crazy mum, 
leave daughters and her
how
even if i could
they would never come
 
today with our neighbours 
we are having a barbecue 
i hope you don't mind 
if i smoke a cigar
 
father used to smoke 
those smelly jaffna cigars
what a fine smell, but if i had them,
covid 19 would die of that smell

by the way, I am  
dancing with my wife
to those old tunes 
we used to listen to 
when we were dating

do whatever 
you never listened to me anyway
i was worshiping the gods 
and lord buddha 
begged them to save you 
from this nasty illness

death can come to anybody 
at anytime mum
it could come today or tomorrow 
or even in ten years
if i can
i will come in august
to see you 
 
oh, i didn't tell mum this 

life is here  
to feel the joyous moments 
instead of suffering, 
rather than living 
in fear of darkness
let's live in the moment 
happily ever after 

you don't need 
a whiskey single malt
or roasted meat and cigar havana,  
it's enough to have 
some coconut toddy,
tapioca maiyok and chili paste  
giveth one
the same happiness 
wherever you are
The Beautiful Essence Of
Lock Down


No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to share your thoughts if they are related to the topic being discussed. I review all the comments being posted. The views expressed in comments reflect those of the author and do not necessarily reflect my opinion.
I want to publish all your comments, but I expect comments generally to be courteous. I will not post comments if they:
contain hate speech directed at any particular race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, or disability;
contain obscene, indecent, or profane language;
contain threats or defamatory statements;
promote or endorse services or products of yours. (Non-commercial links that are relevant to the topic or another comment are acceptable for posting.)
Thanks