Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 September 2022

Little cafe on the side - Greek Tour 2

 


Greek tour 1

Normally when we travel to another country for holidays, we make sure to eat in a local restaurant or local cafe. We avoid tourist spots because they are artificially expensive, but most of the time these dishes are mass produced and have no taste whatsoever. We dined in a nice local restaurant which our hotel owner recommended  while holidaying in Venice, Italy. It was an amazing culinary experience.

Well, we found a similar place in Crete. It's called Rhinoceros in Greek. It’s Greek to me why they chose that name though. They pronounce it Rhinokeros. Our hosts were George Clooni lookalike (that's what he says) Georgios Zervakis and his kind and always happy mother Fifika. Georgios reminded me Alexis Zorba - the main character of ksazanzakis novella- , in his opinions and general outlook on life.










Ines and I were just going for a stroll and we thought to check the menu. It was already late and they were about to close. Georgios offered to do a simple meal just on the spot and I agreed. I ate risotto with mushrooms and Greek pasta. It was an excellent dish. He also gave us some home made wine too. 

The following day, we took our daughter Shakyra as well. The four days we were in Crete we always went there to eat in the evening. 

Fifika is always happy and smiling. She was making our tables and food ready while Georgios was cooking. We had nice Greek folk songs in the background. The Cafe is a small one, not grandiose. But food is amazing. He is very good at doing grilled meat. But there is a good selection of vegetarian food.  HGeorgios would cook anything, even if it is not on the menu. Well, I asked him to do some spaghetty bolognese. It was amazing too.  

I gobbled down my food with homemade excellent raki, and Ouzo.

If you really want not very higly expensive but quality cooking, then this is the place for you. 

Ajith Dharmakeerhi 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to share your thoughts if they are related to the topic being discussed. I review all the comments being posted. The views expressed in comments reflect those of the author and do not necessarily reflect my opinion.
I want to publish all your comments, but I expect comments generally to be courteous. I will not post comments if they:
contain hate speech directed at any particular race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, or disability;
contain obscene, indecent, or profane language;
contain threats or defamatory statements;
promote or endorse services or products of yours. (Non-commercial links that are relevant to the topic or another comment are acceptable for posting.)
Thanks